Today, a friend said that he will ask his bachelor friends to visit my blog so they can learn some simple stuff to cook. Well, today I was feeling lazy so decided to make a very simple dish. I am sure anybody can make it. Plus, it is a good to use up leftover rice! Here's how it's gonna look eventually -
- Rice 100gms (Rice made the night before tastes better here :) )
- 1 small onion - not too thinly chopped
- 1 small potato - thinly chopped
- Green chilli - 2
- Curry leaves - 5/6
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
1. If you are using rice made on the night before, break the lumps that might have formed in it. If fresh rice is to be made, use the absorption method - Take a bowl and fill it half with water. Put the rice in it and start heating on small flame. When it is just about to be fully cooked, take if off the burner and put it in a strainer. Wash with cold water and spread it out. We want all the water out.
2. Chop the onion not too thin. Chop the potatoes very thin. This is important so that both the potatoes and onion pieces cook at the same time. Chop the chill in medium sized pieces. If you like more spicy food, chop the chillies very thin.
3. Heat oil in a wok. Put mustard seeds in it and as soon as they start splitting, put the cumin seeds in.
4. Quickly put the green chillies and after about 5 seconds, put the curry leaves in. Cover the wok for 10 seconds while these cook.
5. Put the onions and potatoes in together. It's important that they are put together or else the onions will start browning even before potatoes are cooked. We don't want that. Cover the wok and let it took for a few minutes (you might wanna put a little salt in it to help it cook better).
6. Once it's cooked, put the turmeric powder in. Mix it well and put the rice in. There's no need to cook the rice anymore. Mix in the salt and you are ready to go! Serve it with Mango pickle or Mango chutney.
10 min later...
Today, there were no silly mistakes. Maybe coz there was no one nagging me (I can safely say this as the nagger is not around for 2 days). It tasted amazing!